Monday, April 18, 2011

Book #6- Confessions of a Pastor: Adventures in Dropping the Pose and Getting Real with God

Groeschel, Craig. Confessions of a Pastor: Adventures in Dropping the Pose and Getting Real with God. Sisters, OR: Multnomah Publishers, 2006.


Craig Groeschel is the founding pastor of LifeChurch.tv in Oklahoma. It was one of the first churches to go multi-site. Now, I have to admit, I decided to read this book now because I thought it was going to be about being a pastor. In a sense, it is, but it is also much more about being a Christian. It is Craig telling the story of who he went from being a full-time minister and part-time Christian to being a fully devoted follower of Christ who happens to be a pastor.


In doing so, Craig got honest with himself, his family, and his congregation, and began to talk about some of the struggles he has instead of putting on the "pastor's face" that it is so easy to hide behind. Here are Craig's confessions:



  • I Can't Stand a Lot of Christians.


  • I Have to Work Hard to Stay Sexually Pure


  • Most of the Time I Feel Incredibly Lonely


  • I Hate Prayer Meetings


  • I Worry Almost All the Time


  • Sometimes I Doubt God


  • I Feel Completely Inadequate


  • I Stink at Handling Criticism


  • I'm Afraid of Failure

Other than "I Worry Almost All the Time," every one of Craig's confessions resonates with me. My favorite thing about the book is that Craig doesn't just state in his confession and then just act like it's perfectly okay to stay where He was. He tells the story of how God is working in His heart and life so that he can overcome them and be able to live into God's vision for his life more and more. I found tremendous help in Craig's suggestions for how to overcome some of these areas where I have struggle with for so long; so if any of Craig's confessions resonate with you, I would recommend this book very highly.

1 comment:

Pastor Neil said...

Great book. I truly enjoyed reading it.

Got your post about the coaching network. Highly recommend it. If you want to aks me questions, please shoot me an email and we can talk.

rev.partington@charter.net